Posts : 1012
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-02-10
Age : 41
|Subject: The Passive 9/2/2011, 9:36 pm|| |
We use the active form to say what the subject does. For example:
- I speak English every day at work.
- I repaired the flat tire on the car.
We use the passive form to say what happens to people and things, to say what is done to them. For example:
- English is spoken here.
- The car is being repaired.
We use the passive form when we don't know who did the action. For example:
- The car was damaged while it was parked on the street.
- The shirts were made in Turkey.
We use the passive form when what was done is more important than who did it. For example:
- It was approved by Gerry last week.
- I was informed by the Human Resources Manager only two days ago.