Posts : 1012
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-02-10
Age : 41
|Subject: The imperative 9/2/2011, 9:35 pm|| |
We can use the imperative to give a direct order.
- Take that chewing gum out of your mouth.
- Stand up straight.
- Give me the details.
We can use the imperative to give instructions.
- Open your book.
- Take two tablets every evening.
- Take a left and then a right.
We can use the imperative to make an invitation.
- Come in and sit down. Make yourself at home.
- Please start without me. I'll be there shortly.
- Have a piece of this cake. It's delicious.
We can use the imperative on signs and notices.
- Do not use.
- Insert one dollar.
We can use the imperative to give friendly informal advice.
- Speak to him. Tell him how you feel.
- Have a quiet word with her about it.
- Don't go. Stay at home and rest up. Get some sleep and recover.
We can make the imperative 'more polite' by adding 'do'.
- Do be quiet.
- Do come.
- Do sit down.