Posts : 1012
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-02-10
Age : 41
|Subject: Past perfect 9/2/2011, 9:05 pm|| |
use the past perfect simple to talk about what happened before a point
in the past. It looks back from a point in the past to further in the
- I hadn't known the bad news when I spoke to him.
- I checked with the supplier and they still hadn't received the contract.
- She had already told him before I got a chance to give him my version.
- The company has started the year well but was badly hit by the postal strike.
The past perfect simple is often used when we report what people had said/thought/believed.
- He told me they had already paid the bill.
- He said he believed that John had moved to Italy.
- I thought we had already decided on a name for this product.