Posts : 1012
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-02-10
Age : 41
|Subject: How to Become an Advanced English Speaker 14/11/2010, 7:33 pm|| |
Howto Become an Advanced English Speaker
How to go from a beginner to advanced (in English).Steps
- 1Read English constantly, whether it is books like Harry Potter or non-fiction, scholarly works.
- 2Watch English television, such as news programmes (e.g. BBC Worlds can be viewed in many parts of the worlds). While watching shows with words that you may not understand, while using a notebook and pen, write the word down (how you think it is spelt) and then find its correct spelling and find out what the word means.
- 3Do not have subtitles when watching tv series or movies.
- 4Read aloud in order to build both your written and spoken vocabulary.
- 5Practice writing a lot. Essays, article contributions, blogging, etc.
- 6Communicate as much as possible in English.
- 7Make use of the dictionary or thesaurus.
- 8Be relaxed and confident when speaking English.
- 9Build English vocabulary at the appropriate level; otherwise you will remain an average English speaker.
- 10Always listen in ELA class (English Language Arts) to improve your speaking skills.
- Grammar is very important. Lay yourself a good grammar foundation and your English will improve exponentially. Nevertheless, don't get bogged down and held back by grammar rules. You want to speak the language, not learn how it's spoken.
- Grammar is not only about sentence/verb formations. You should understand the implied meaning associated with the grammar used.
- Try to think in English instead of your mother tongue/the language you are familiar with.
- Use Espoir Smart English through programs. They are very effective for adult English learners. It is based on Content Based Instruction, a powerful technique in developing a language. You will automatically start thinking in English.
- Use an English dictionary instead of a bilingual dictionary (as you progress).
- Practice using natural English instead of finding the English equivalents from your mother tongue.
- Watch movies in English without subtitles or English language satellite channels like BBC or CNN and try to understand it.
- Find a friend with whom you can practice English.
- Be careful of a dictionary's definition of synonyms. There are no two completely synonymous words in English. Car and automobile are said to be synonymous, but telling your English friend that you have an automobile instead of a car is unusual.
- If you learn English at school, then be as engaged as you can in those lessons, and always only speak English (if you can) there.
- Do not be afraid to read the dictionary to increase your vocabulary.